Sunday 13 March 2011

2).How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

A vast variety of new technologies, were used within the construction, research, planning and evaluation stages of my production. I used new technologies in a variety of ways to create different effects. In the initial research stages, I used websites, which enabled me to understand the genre and its conventions and concepts, I did this by looking at the websites of artists who had a similar style of music to the artist I had chosen, therefore allowing me to state which genre my piece of music was. I also used youtube, in order to find music videos by artists who comply with the same genre, as the music that I chose. By, finding videos by artists of the same or a similar genre, it allowed me to understand the codes and convent ions that were used, as well as looking at music videos I also looks at films, that were within this genre, and used youtube to look at them and upload them on to my blog, so I have a record of research. I used these devices, youtube and other websites, during the target audience research section, as they enabled me to understand who the people are behind the genre, and understand the stereotypical lifestyle, of the audience of this genre. I used various websites, to find album covers from the artists that I had used within my earlier research of music videos, I also used music magazines such as, NME and Q, to find advertisements for the release of albums. I used my blog, blogger.com, to display all of the research that I carried out. One of the main conventions of my music video was the, split screen, I researched other films, music videos and short videos/advertisements, which used this convention, to see and understand how they used it to tell the narrative of the video. I started my research of split screens by finding the definition, on wikipedia, which lead to me reading a list of some of the most famous videos that have used split screen, leading to me watching, cibo matto`s music video, sugar water, which although it is not the same genre as Shannon Hurley’s, sunrise, it does show a great example of split screen, in which it focus’s on the movement of the two characters in either side of the split screen, and how the movement of one characters leads and is synchronized to the movement of the other character. I then uploaded the videos, which displayed the use of split screen within them, on to my blog. The use of technology was slightly less within the stages of planning. Within the planning of the music video, I used a digital SLR camera to photograph the location shots, a scanner so we could scan in the storyboard, and then use blogger to display it. Within the planning of my print productions, I used a scanner, to scan in my designs so I could upload them onto blogger. I also used, datont.com, which is a website, where people design and display fonts that they have created, for others to use, I found a variety of fonts on this website, and used my favourite which was displayed on my ancillary products. Although, I did not use technology very frequently within this stage, the use of a scanner helped greatly, as it allowed me to display documents on my blog, and include them in my print productions, as I could upload them digitally onto the computer. The construction of both the music video production and ancillary texts used the most technological devices, enabling me to use and experiment with a vast variety of new technologies. Within the construction, shooting and editing, of the music video I used a digital video camera, tripod, SLR digital camera, and SLR film camera and adobe premiere elements.

Within the construction of my print productions I used a digital SLR camera and adobe Photoshop elements. I used blogger to upload both of these productions; I also used youtube to post the music video on. We had to do a vast amount of shoots, to get all the footage that we needed, because we encountered some problems. When we planned our shooting schedule, we decided we would use two cameras, one to film the girl and the other to film the boy, because this would make it easier when editing because of the split screen, however on the first day of shooting one of cameras stopped working, therefore having only one camera to use, this did delay us slightly on the day, however we overcame the problem. It was needed for us to re-shoot the scenes of the girl on the train, because of the tape that we used to film this scene breaking. The camera was very easy to use, and allowed us to achieve most things that were needed or that we wanted, however it would have been better if it focused, and it had a larger zoom. The use of a digital video camera, allowed us to take a vast amount of footage, giving us lots of raw material that we could then edit and cut, this worked very well because of the different locations that we used, and the amount of shots that we wanted to achieve in each location. This also worked well, because of the use of split screen; we wanted a variety of shots of both characters. In post production, we used adobe premiere software to edit the footage, there is other editing software such as windows that is available, however we opted to use adobe software, because it gives a larger variety of tools that can be used. Adobe, also made it easier when creating the split screen in the video, the process of creating the split screen, involves placing two lots of footage onto the canvas, making sure they are directly underneath each other on the timeline so they will play in unison, then you just have to resize the shots to fit the canvas size. The split screeen, opened decisions when creating the split screen; of the size of the individual frames, and if they would be the same size of different sizes, i also needed to decide if they would start moving at the same time and stop at the saem time or one frame would be still and one would move. One of the biggest decisions was what shots to put in the frames and which ones would work well together, and if they would complemente each other, also needed to thikn about how the co9lours and movement in each frame work together, for example; the shots of the girl and the boy at the train station and on the train where the frames are positioned horizontally and they both look at the same time. I used photoshop, to create the ancillary products, because although there is other editing programmes, photoshop gave me the most variety of editing tools, out of the various edting programmes that are avaliable to use.

2 comments:

  1. Good - you have described well how new technolgies helped you research for all the products and compile your research on your blog.

    Again it would be interesting to look at the ways you used premier elements with the split screen and the choices you made about the shots. It would also be interesting to see the ideas you rejected when you were constructing your print products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have responded to the comment and have looked at the way you constructed the split screen carefully.

    ReplyDelete