Sunday 6 February 2011

How did your research and planning inform your production of your music video? practise evaluation question.

My initial research helped me to plan my music video, aesthetically as well as the technicalities being the use of split screen within the video. The research enabled me to look into target audience, and genre, which helped me in the planning of the video, so I could make sure that I was appealing to my target audience by using conventions of that particular genre. The planning of my music video allowed me to have a clearer idea of what I wanted to achieve and also helped the shooting process to go much smoother, because I knew the shots that needed to be taken in each location, and the props and costumes that we needed for each location.

The similar artist research, where I looked at three music videos; Laura Marling, Ellie Goulding and Lissie, who are all of a similar genre to my artist; Shannon Hurley. I looked at the conventions that they used within their music videos, however they do not comply with the main convention of my music video which is the split screen technique. Although they did not use a split screen, they did help me to understand how to appeal to my target audience because they are of a similar genre. I also took inspiration from these videos, for how to light my video.

The videos I used for my initial plan and research directly responding to my video, was; (500) days of summer, bad day by Daniel powter and your secret by jean-Sebastian monzani. (500) days of summer and the Bad Day music video, both incorporate split screen, which informed me of how I should use the technique and the type of shots that I should put into a split screen format. I also used some of the ideas that features in these videos, such as using the split screen to show the boy and girl separately, as they do in (500) days of summer, because it shows the separation between them. I decided to use a performance element within the video, because of the interest that it adds, within the Bad Day video. The video by Jean-Sebastian Monzani, features a series of notes and writing to represent the feelings of a character, this was my initial plan, however they did not look right within the video, so I replaced this idea with a series a stills of the couple breaking up, and put them together to make a flashback, within the video, I used a 35mm film camera, in order to get the similar lighting in the images to (500) days of summer, and “your secret”. The use of a train, came from the train scenes in (500) days of summer, and the lighting within this scene, which informed me well in creating my music video, as I was able to re-create this type of dispersed lighting, by using the sun.

I used the music video sugar water by cibo matto, which is a very well known video for its use of split screen. I looked at this video, to understand how split screen works and it informed me of what shots to use and how to use split screen effectively.

Overall, both the research and planning process informed me of my target audience and genre and helped me to understand how to appeal to that audience, by informing me of the codes and conventions that have been used, in this genre of film and music. The planning of my music video enabled my shoots to go smoothly, because I knew exactly what was needed from that shoot.

1 comment:

  1. This is reading well. Can you develop further the ideas that influenced you from your research as well as the split screen.

    For instance can you expand on this sentence. What lighting conventions have you used. "I also took inspiration from these videos, for how to light my video."

    ReplyDelete